Letter from Ed Smith on 10/5/2020
… We need to get back to the traditional core Toastmasters mission – improving members’ public speaking abilities, period!
…Maybe Pathways can be made more livable by making some major changes:
1. Have a basic first “manual” that all new members start with, and don’t have to choose from a confusing assortment of “paths”.
2. Rename and rework the “paths” to be more in line with advanced material, emphasize speaking skills more, and not repeat the lessons of the basic “manual”.
3. Separate “leadership” exercises from the educational ones (contrary to the gospel, not that many folks are that interested in “leadership skills”).
4. Rework the on-line database to be more user-friendly, and efficient (it’s so slow now I frequently just give up trying to do things)
5. Reduce, or eliminate, the need for members to work on-line; let VPEs help maintain members’ records.
I don’t know if any of this can be accomplished but I feel it would go a long way to retaining our existing membership, and make it easier to explain and market to new folks.
Let’s start with a “basic manual path” based on the old CC manual projects. Maybe TI would be receptive to that.
… Later, Ed
“A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved.
– Dorothea Brande (1893 – 1948), American Writer and Editor
“Any problem requires action to solve it.”
– Life’s Little Instruction Calendar Classics 2020
Possibilities = PATH 12